About the Knight Foundation:
Knight Foundation, established in 1950, is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy.
Knight Foundation’s Information Governance System, including a retention program and archive, was formally established in 1997.
Within the foundation’s Information Governance policies and practices, and under the direction of the VP/Administration and Secretary to the Board of Trustees, the Contract Archivist provides counsel, monitors and assists in the management of Knight Foundation’s records retention and archive activities.
Using the two core tenants of provenance and original order, the part-time contract Archivist will:
- Review submitted entries for acquisition and preservation within the foundation’s physical and digital archive collection(s).
- Authenticate, determine lasting importance and historical significance to the foundation, arrange and describe these records.
- Define and employ the use of metadata and classification to assist in quality filing and access to records.
- Provide additional finding aids and reference/access service as needed.
- Ensure archive integrity.
- Manage current and future digital information assets in coordination with the foundation’s technology and administrative staff.
- Lead archival instruction sessions and act as contract consultant to staff.
- Conduct oral history interviews as requested.
- Purchase archival supplies.
- Assist and advise the foundation in the determination of requirements and technical specifications to consider/revise/select a current or new Digital Asset Management system (DAMs) for its archive.
- Perform data migration of designated current and non-current records as archival assets in DAMs.
Qualifications and Background
- Bachelor’s Degree; archival or library science coursework preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of information governance best practices and archival standards.
- Two years related experience in a library or archive, preferably in a digital asset management setting.
- Strong analytical, organization, research and communications skills.
- Ability to use computer, scanner, printer, copier.
- Familiar with various document control software applications.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
Lawrence Advisors LLC is recruiting for this position on behalf of Knight Foundation. If interested, please send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com; and, indicate KF Contract Archivist in the Subject Line.