Special Collections at the John H. Evans Library, Florida Institute of Technology is seeking a 2019 intern. This paid internship will start early January and run through December. A maximum of 12 hours a week is required, during the workweek (M-F, 8am-5pm).
This position involves processing scientific archival collections with both physical and digital components. Activities include creating inventories, rehousing materials, arranging collections, providing descriptions, and creating finding aids according to nationally recognized archival standards and best practices. Interns will also add their completed finding aids to ArchivesSpace.
- Enrolled in an accredited graduate program or have an accredited Master’s degree in an archives-related field such as Library Information Science, History, Public History, Museum Studies, or similar
- Willingness to learn new programs, methods, and skill sets
- Interest in technology, science, or the early space program
- Ability to work independently
- Experience using basic hardware: computers, printers, copiers, and scanners
- Strong research and writing skills
- High levels of responsibility and attention to detail
- Must be able to work in the presence of dust
Knowledge of the following is helpful, but not required:
- Familiarity with archival arrangement and description
- Familiarity with descriptive metadata schemas
- Experience with Adobe Pro, Photoshop, and Microsoft Office
- Experience working with or handling fragile materials
Please send a cover letter & CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.