Posting Opens: 7/30/2018
Posting Closes: 8/20/2018 (or until filled)
Salary: $13/hour- $16/hour. Based on qualification.
Hours: 30 hours weekly
Address: Orange County Regional History Center, 65 East Central Blvd, Orlando, FL 32801
Position is Non Exempt
Assistant Registrar Position Description
The Orange County Regional History Center, housed in a historic courthouse in downtown Orlando, offers four floors of exhibits exploring 12,000 years of Central Florida’s rich heritage. A Smithsonian affiliate, the museum also presents visiting exhibitions and a wide range of programs for all ages. From documenting defining moments in our history, including the Pulse nightclub tragedy, to bearing witness to everyday life, the museum plays an invaluable role by serving as Central Florida’s storyteller for generations to come. Please visit thehistorycenter.org.
The History Center is currently seeking a qualified professional to fill the position of Assistant Registrar. This position assists with the daily management and care of the collection, including documentation, storage, processing, and preservation. This position may also assist with exhibition production and setup for programs and events as needed.
If interested, email Resume to Lesleyanne.Drake@ocfl.net
Reports to: Curator of Collections
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with incoming donations, including sending and receiving deeds of gift, processing and rehousing collections, and cataloging artifacts in the collections database.
- Performs inventories, artifact photography, basic cleaning, and stabilization of objects.
- Conducts artifact research and recommends items for acquisition or deaccession.
- Assists with retrieval, packing, transport, and documentation for items on exhibit or temporary location.
- Supports any collections related activities, including inventory, reorganization projects, and digitization initiatives.
- Assists with production and installation of exhibitions.
- Assists with museum programs and special events as well as setups.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, anthropology, or a related field and at least one year of experience working in a museum or special collection.
- Knowledge of artifact handling and care.
- Proficiency with collections management software.
- Strong organizational skills.
The above description and qualifications are not all inclusive and represents a majority of the key responsibilities of this position. Other duties may be assigned as required to fulfill the directives of the strategic plan or as designated by executive staff. Work environment is primarily in an office with some walking and driving between the office to the Museum and offsite storage facility; ability to lift up to 35 pounds and to be on their feet for over two hours at a time.
The above description and qualifications are not all inclusive and represents a majority of the key responsibilities of this position. Other duties may be assigned in the course of activities as required to fulfill the directives of the development and strategic plan or as designated by executive staff.
*Final Candidates must pass a background check, must be able to live and work in the United States and may be required to pass a drug test.