Job Title: Heritage & University Archives Assistant (University Libraries)
Job ID: 42249
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply On Or Before: 09/05/2017
This position is located in the FSU Libraries in the Special Collections and Archives Division.
Assists in managing Heritage & University Archives materials in various formats following departmental procedures. Maintains intellectual and physical control of the collections by performing archival administrative duties such as physically transferring, receiving, and accessioning materials, and entering descriptive information into the department’s archival administration software (Archon) and other departmental databases as necessary. Arranges, describes, and preserves collections, and creates finding aids and coordinates the movement of materials for cataloging and metadata creation. Performs general and administrative correspondence, research, and assists in fulfilling requests for materials.
Assists in managing the Heritage Museum by coordinating the museum calendar and scheduling of attendants. Collects and reports museums statistics. Staffs Heritage Museum as needed. Assists with exhibits in the Heritage Museum, Libraries main exhibit room, the Mary Lou Norwood Reading Room, other campus venues, and online/virtual exhibits.
Assists in managing the Heritage & University Archives website and Facebook page, and creates content for these and other web/social media outlets.
Assists with other projects and duties as assigned, including digitization projects, indexing and reorganization projects, shifting collections. Creates exhibit and promotional materials as needed. Collaborates with colleagues across the Division and Libraries as necessary.
Responsible for management of assigned staff, graduate assistants, and student workers.
Participates in outreach programs, instruction, events, and tours occasionally in the evenings and on weekends. Coordinates and manages related activities as assigned.
Provides reference and research support through service at the Research Center Reading Room desk.
- High School diploma and 2 years of experience High school diploma/equivalent and two years of experience
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
- Experience with applicable computer applications and basic computer functions, including Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Experience in a customer service setting.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail oriented environment.
- Ability to move loaded book trucks and tubs filled with materials weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to meet project deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience in a library and/or museum setting.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of and the ability to interpret and apply related University policies, procedures, principles, and practices.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices of collections management to include proper handling, installation, preservation and/or maintenance.
- Knowledge of the policies and practices of library services.
Anticipated Salary Range
This is an USPS (University Support Personnel System) position.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
How To Apply
Please attach a cover letter and resume to your application. If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, will receive preference and priority in employment and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. For information on who may be eligible for Veterans' Preference, go to http://hr.fsu.edu/?page=ers/application/application_veterans_preference, or call FSU Human Resources at (850) 644-6034. IMPORTANT: In order to claim Veterans' Preference, applicants must upload a DD-214 (and other documentation, as applicable) with their online application prior to the closing date of the job opening.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf